1st Stage of Launch: Lights…

After checking and double checking everything, time to find put some power to the ignition for a light check. And unbelievably, all lights illuminated on first attempt.

Considering I unplugged the entire rear wiring harness, rewired a good portion of the engine compartment, it was truly a miracle that everything worked on first try.

Moving along

Had a productive weekend. Received my order from JBugs on Friday, just in time for the weekend.

  • Was disappointed(but not surprised) that the rear marker lights did not fasten to the bus as they should or intended. So ended up using plastic 1/4″ anchors to fasten the base to the bus and then used screws to fasten the marker light to the base.
  • Purchased a new Duracell Group 36R battery. I must say the Walmart Everstart battery I purchased more than 10 years ago, did a great job for it’s lifetime but finally wouldn’t hold a charge.
  • Finished reconnecting all of the rear engine and electrical wiring, with the exception of the blower motor. Don’t really need it right now to get her running, plus need to rewire some of it due to age and corrosion.
  • Reconnected the starter wiring, installed new fuel line from the carb to the fuel filter but need to connect it this evening.
  • Replaced the aluminum intake to head gaskets with fiber gaskets and tightened and torqued the intake and carb.

Putting Her Back Together, Part 4

Prior to me dropping the set screw and starting this entire update process, I had picked up a set of complete insulation boards. They weren’t perfect, but I could at least use as a pattern. I used 1/8″ masonite(or hardboard) and traced out the pattern, cut everything out and then used a drill press and forstner bit to began the process of drilling all of the holes.

Sprayed them with semigloss black paint and never got to install them. I also scored a full set of the original insulation in super great shape. The plastic protectors had of course dry rotted, so purchased some clear trash bags, used the manufactured seams as much as possible. Then, trimmed to fit and used a lighter to melt the edges and press together to form a sealed package. Even saved the original VW papers and inserted into the insulation plastic(as seen in one of the pics)

Must say they turned out great. Should have taken some pics of the insulation prior to installing, but was too excited to get them installed.

The insulation boards have lasted more than 5 years in the garage with the Charleston humidity and still look the same as when I made them.