After discovering the stripped 10mm stud, I had to search for another answer. I debated and debated and measured and remeasured on what to do. As much as I read, I kept hearing to stay away from a helicoil, as helicoil is nothing but a spring really, and the heat from the head and engine can cause it to expand and contract, which is NOT what you want from a head stud.
So, it’s off to find another solution. After more and more reading, I decided to try a Time-sert kit. I didn’t really have anything to lose(except for about $75.00) but I wanted to avoid having to remove the engine and having the head repaired.
Here is a link to their metric kits: www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html .
According to the Time-sert website, the Fastenal Company is supposed to carry the kits. However, after visiting the store and calling, they knew nothing about Time-sert or their kits.
So, off to the web I go.
I found a company called Mechanics Tools and Bits on Amazon that sold their kits. I placed my order for the TIME-SERT M10 X 1.25 Metric Thread Repair Kit 1012 and received the shipment in just a few days. Great Transaction. Then I discovered I ordered the wrong kit. I should have ordered the TIME-SERT M10 X 1.50 Metric Thread Repair Kit 1015. I contacted Neal Hillegass from the company and he gladly exchanged the product, no questions asked. Of course, I had to cover the shipping, but there was a price difference and he’s response “just send it back” and we’ll take care of it.
A couple more days and I had the correct kit. However, I ordered the 14.0mm inserts as that’s what it appeared I needed based on the stud. But after getting the kit, I realized the next size – 17.0mm -would be better suited for the job. Luckily, the inserts are relatively inexpensive, so I contacted Neal again and purchased the 5 of the 17.0mm( a few extra just for future usage if needed, hopefully not) for less than $10.00.
Got everything I needed now to start the job and there was nothing to it. Had it installed in about an hour. First, you drill out the hole, retap it for the insert, use another included specialized drill bit for cutting a small circle around the hole to flush mount the insert, then another tool to install the insert.
And that’s it. the stud is installed, torqued at 13 lbs/in and is not going anywhere. It actually feels more snug with no wiggle than the 10mm studs I had to retap on the other side. The intakes are installed and everything seems snug and secure.