It’s been ROUGH.

This has been a rough week in regards to the rebuilt(or cleaned up) Weber. I have installed it, and uninstalled it, and reinstalled it about 30 times in the past week and have had nothing but trouble. As I installed it the first time, I couldn’t get it to even start properly. Very sporadic results. After troubleshooting, removing and reinstalling, multiple times, I tried reinstalling the old float needle, readjusted the float, just everything I could possibly think of.

I finally thought of something in the middle of the night. The PO had installed gasket sealant along with the thicker than average gasket between the manifold and the carb. Why? Because I took the carb off and found that the bottom of the carb was warped. So, I had some 180 DA sandpaper and attached it to a piece of straight sheetmetal and set the base of the carb on it and started to slide it back and forth to attempt to remove some of the warpage. After about 10 minutes, I could see all of the low places on the carb were now gone. Then reinstalled the carb and the bus actually started very consistently and still does. The warpage was causing a vacuum leak.

Now, the only problem is that it WILL NOT idle. I must continue giving it gas to keep it running. I have removed the idle screw, recleaned it, and blown compressed air with no change in idle. Also, removed the jets and cleaned and blown out also. Still nothing. I am out of ideas.

Rebuild of Weber 5200

After having some problems after I connected the charcoal canister to the carb, I decided to take the carb out and clean it. So one thing leads to another and decided to go ahead and take out the manifold and give it a good cleaning, new paint, and went ahead and rebuilt the carb. After shopping several local auto parts stores, decided to go with the Autozone kit for around $20.00. Also, started to clean the engine up some from the years of muck and grime.

I really wanted to take the engine tins out and sand down and paint, but decided to draw the line at leaving them in. Still debating to finish cleaning up the area and maybe spraying them black. Too much trouble at this point to remove them without removing other things as well. A few pics of the carb prior to rebuilding. The strainer was corroded terribly. I’m removing it for now, until I can find a replacement. It’s a wonder that fuel was even getting through the carb.